Brainteasers aren’t just good fun. They encourage creative, lateral thinking – and are a great way to keep learning alive over the long summer holidays. So challenge your family to these ten riddles and see who comes out on top.
1. It’s as light as a feather, but the strongest person can’t hold it for more than five minutes. What is it?
2. What gets more wet while it dries?
3. You can find it in Mercury, Earth, Mars, Jupiter and Saturn, but not in Venus or Neptune. What is it?
4. How far can a dog run into the woods?
5. A farmer has 19 sheep on his land. One day, a big storm hits and all but seven run away. How many sheep does the farmer have left?
6. Your sock drawer only contains 18 white socks and 18 blue socks. How many times do you need to reach inside the drawer and take out a sock to guarantee a matching pair?
7. Using only addition, how can you use eight eights to get the number 1,000?
8. When Ashley was 15, her mother was 37. Now, her mother is twice her age. How old is Ashley?
2 + 2 = 44
3 + 3 = 96
4 + 4 = 168
5 + 5 = 2510
Then: 6 + 6 = ?
10. The more there is, the less you see. What is it?
All solved or still stumped? Drop us an email and we’ll send you the answers.